Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fiesta de cumpleaños del Ecuadorian

My first Ecuadorian birthday party was a blast! Mi Sabrina turned one year old this past weekend. It was amazing to see family members gather together and praise Sofia. The party began with socializing around a table filled with snacks. What kind of snacks? Ecuadorians are very big on popcorn. So there was a lot of popcorn, potato chips, marshmallows, cheese with tiny hot dogs, lots of Ecuadorian chocolate and candies, and crackers! The father of Sofia handed out champagne glasses and as each family member went around and said something about Sofia we toasted! ¡Salud! 


The next hour of the party consisted of sitting around in a circle in chairs. The father passed around Bacardi Rum shots. In Ecuador, drinking while socializing is very common and sometimes found rude if you don't participate. So, I was sure I participated. Then the games began. The men had to carry a spoon with a lime and try to dance. If the lime fell off then you were out. It was quite hilarious. The same game continued but instead of dancing the men had to do the limbo! The ladies were next. I did pretty well. But my legs were so long to keep continuing do limbo that my lime fell off and I lost. 


Dinner was placed in the middle of the 5 hour birthday party. The hosts served everyone at the party a huge meal. Let me add, a delicious meal! Cena consisted of seasoned, baked chicken, rice with avocado, potato salad with different types of peas and corn nuts and a glass of juice. It was interesting that no one sat a table. We all gathered around in a close circle to eat-it was very traditional.


Just when I thought the party was over, it surely was not. More games! I was a bit nervous for the rest of the evening. My Spanish does not rock right now, but my host brother helped me out a lot. We performed multiple rounds of charades. Even singing charades, and this is where I come into play. I had to act/sing Poker Face by Lady Gaga as the men had to guess. It was quite embarrassing but I look back now and I had such a great time. We played other games as well such as "who has the key" or "where is the key." A person had to be blind folded while the group hides a key. The person takes the blind fold off and we help him/her find the key by saying "caliente, caliente" or "frio, frio." It is similar to your getting hotter or your getting colder! 


Lastly, we were served yummy Ecuadorian dessert. Sofia's cake was of Minny Mouse. We were served a slice of cake, jello, and orange soda. I was highly made fun of. When I was served the cup of jello I confused it with orange soda and thought I had spilled it. My host brother and the family got the biggest kick out of it. I was laughing so hard until tears rolled down my face.


I really felt like part of the family. Ecuadorian people are friendly, fun, and amazing to be around. La fiesta lasted all afternoon until after 8:00pm at night but it was great and I am glad I had the chance to experience a new part of the Ecuadorian culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment