Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Average Day

Let me recap an average day that I live.


5:00am-MoviStar Alarm Sound


5:05am-Snooze


5:15am-Finally roll out of bed, grab my Late Cafe (Ecuadorian Style) and wash up in the shower.


5:45am-Grab my croissant and fruit that my host mother usually prepares. Fruit is usually a banana, orange, or an apple.


5:47am-Say bye to the dogs & head to the bus stop. While walking to the bus stop-I am able to see the sun rise over Cotopaxi!

















6:10am-Catch the over-crowded, polluted, dirty bus-but it's great! It is a cultural experience.


6:25am-Get off bus, catch a trolle to where SECAP is located. SECAP is the school I have been practice teaching in and observing here in Quito. It is located on Diez de Agosto and Colon Avenue.


6:45am-Arrive at SECAP. Sometimes, if I am lucky and I arrive early I will run and grab a cappuccino vanilla dark to eat with my croissant. I drink a lot of coffee throughout the day-keeps me going.


7:00am-9:00am-I would usually be teaching or observing other teachers. The classroom environment is great. The students are there to learn and no matter what you are teaching-they love you because you have the ability to speak perfect English!


9:05am-Walk back to where our orientation classes take place. Sometimes I will stop and get a smoothie, another coffee, maybe a snack to last me until lunchtime. You would be surprised how much I eat here. Our bodies work a lot harder because of the altitude!


10:00am-12:00pm-WorldTeach has some type of class for us. The classes have varied from TEFL training, cultural shock, history & politics of Ecuador, and much more!


12:00pm-LUNCH! Usually a small group of us will branch off and go find a good spot to eat. I have fallen in love with Aladdin's, a middle eastern restaurant that serves falafel sandwiches for $2.20. I probably eat there at least 3 times a week. Delicious!


12:45pm-Either grab a coffee & cookie at Caco del Republica or a Batido for $1.00 at a smoothie stand (Fresa y Pina are my favorite).


1:30pm-Spanish class! Spanish class can sometimes be frustrating but I do learn a lot and it's so much fun. Our Spanish teacher recently taught us what to say when we take liquor shots with Ecuadorians-"¡Arriba, Abajo, A Centro, Adentro!" She is great.


2:30pm-Walk back to orientation site listening to my travel playlist on my ipod. By this time, I am drained but have to stick it out for at least 2 more hours.


3:00pm-5:00pm-More classes with WorldTeach!


5:00pm-Bus ride home? OR Stay out? Depending on the day I will either ride the bus home and my mother will have dinner ready for me OR just stay out and hit up happy hour! La Mariscal is the main plaza that we like to migrate to. It's cheap, there is a lot of dancing, and I always have a great time!
Friday Night Salsa Class


Life in Ecuador is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment