Tuesday, September 6, 2011

El Autobús

The bus. Busses here in Quito are packed with all kinds of people. Ecuadorian, Chilean, and American. Many of which listen to their ipod, read, sleep, and sometimes even sing aloud. I mainly just watch. I ride the bus in the mornings and sometimes at night. The mornings are the most full. I usually stand and hold on tight. There are no road lines, we mainly fly down the Andes Mountains. I live in South Quito so it is a bit of a bus ride to WorldTeach's orientation site. 


Other than the smell and taste of pollution, I don't mind the bus ride. It is a time where I watch people and take in the scenery around me. It is one quarter to ride the bus, much cheaper than taking a taxi.


What kinds of things do I see on the bus? A lot of the time there will be Ecuadorians on and off selling things such as cigarettes, gum, food, and candy. Other times, women and sometimes men will have a tape player and sing or rap as loud as they can to make money. People on the bus are always well dressed. I believe they may be on their way to school or work.


I was at first a little nervous to ride the bus at night. We were told not to ride night busses. But it is actually fun! I write in my journal and sometimes sketch things I see. I wish I could bring my ipod or Kindle. I was told not too. Being a foreigner, it is not a good idea. Risky that it may get stolen! While on the bus, I am sure to hold my bag tight on my lap. It's always to be more cautious than sorry.



All in all, I don't mind the bus. It may be dirty and may take twice as long but it's a good cultural experience!


Bus Ride View!

No comments:

Post a Comment