Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's Here!

As I said my goodbyes, I awaited in the Richmond airport to fly to Miami where I will meet friends of a lifetime. I am a bit nervous. I believe it has yet hit me that I am moving to South America. So many thoughts are running through my head: wierd being the first time traveling alone-I can't believe I just said bye to my parents for a year-I'm nervous about finding my way around Miami and the WorldTeach group-I can't believe my bags were less than 40 pounds! So many things!


Arriving in Miami was a bit stressful. Lost a bag and freaked out for a good 10 minutes. Thankfully, we found it but following I walked over a mile to check into Avianca. Met the first WorldTeach volunteer and felt much better. Everyone here is great! We all have one definite thing in common which is volunteering to teach English.


Flight from Miami to Bogota, Columbia was close to four hours. Was not a bad flight. I listened to some Dave Mathews and watched Something Borrowed (not the best movie) and an episode of Modern Family the plane had. I read a little as well and tried to sleep.


Our flight from Bogota to Quito took a turn. We circled Quito a few times but the wind was too bad so we flew on down to Guayaquil. On the screens on the back of our seats, it looked like someone took a marker and scribbled all over Quito for how many times our plane circled it. Guayaquil is now where the WorldTeach group waits until who knows when. Could be all night! Thinking it could be all night, a few of us and I bought our first una cerveza to relax us for a bit. We are all pretty exhausted, it is 1:41am. Many of us have now traveled over 24 hours and have been on at least 4 or more planes. I met a very cool Ecuadorian student on the plane who spoke very clear English. He talked about Manta, Ecuador a lot! He taught me how to make Ceviche! Yumm... It Definitely made the wait go by a little more fast.


Time to get some rest!


¡Hasta mañana!


No comments:

Post a Comment