Sunday, April 15, 2012

Parasites, Infections, Oh No!

Living in a third world country, you can't expect that your body is going to remain in the same perfect, healthy shape. New foods and a whole new diet is what you will experience. With that being said, not everything is as disinfected as it is in the states. For starters, you cannot drink the tap water here in Ecuador. The tap water is not filtered and is filled with bacteria that can make you very sick. You must buy water to drink or boil your water (which sometimes can tasty funky). There will be times where you will get sick and have diarrhea or vomiting close to twenty times a day. You know you have a bug! You may never know what causes the bug (it can be anything) but it is important to get treated before the situation gets worse. 


Other than gaining a little weight here in Ecuador I have remained pretty healthy! This is until last week. I began having sharp pains (knife stabbing, strong pains) in my upper abdomen. I was using the bathroom from 4-5 times every 2 hours. Oh no! I have a parasite, a worm, Hepatitis A, all of these thoughts were crossing my mind. I decided to take a trip to Clinica del Sol. Now, here in Ecuador they apparently like to inject you with all sorts of things through shots and Iv's before even telling what type of bug you have. I was injected with 3 different Iv's in the clinic. I was freaking out, I am not used to all these needles going into my arm when I don't even know what is wrong with me! Anyways, I immediately felt better. Whatever it was they gave me must have been a miracle. I am currently now taking medication for 7 days to detox my body in case I did have some type of parasite or infection. Phew! 


So the point of this short story is, you will get sick when you travel but it is not as bad as it seems! It is just another cultural experience living in a foreign county that you learn from (at least that is the way you need to think about it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment